A) About The Research Programme

Q1 : What is a research based programme ?

Ans : research-based programme is one in which higher degrees are awarded based on supervised or mentored research work of an approved topic, culminating in the submission of a thesis. Besides the research projects, all candidates must read and pass 4 compulsory graduate level modules whilst doctorate candidates must read and pass 2 additional elective modules. Students may enroll as full-time or part-time candidates for these degrees.

Q2 : What are the higher degrees offered for this programme ?

Ans : They are the Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy.

B) Admission Matters

Q1 : How many Intakes are there per year?

Ans : There are two intakes per academic year : August and January.

Q2 : Is there any examination I have to pass to gain admission in your programme ?

Ans : No pre-admission examination is required, except for the language examinations which
are taken at the applicant’s expense.

Q3 : All my education has been in English, must I take the TOEFFL/TWE tests to

Ans : Yes, all applicants except those who have a degree (either Bachelor's or higher) from universities in Singapore, USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines are required to sit for the TOEFL/TWE test.

Q4 : How should I go about selecting my research topic?

Ans : First of all you must decide which area you have an inherent interest and potential competency. You may contact a potential supervisor at for an initial discussion. Otherwise, you could just key in the research topic in the on-line application form. The Faculty will circulate your application among the relevant faculty members. Remember, you should never apply for a research programme just because you think it is a way of getting an additional qualification. Interest in the research topic must prevail for it will determine your success of your learning.

Q5 : Could I submit application via hard copy form?

Ans : Unfortunately, hard copy application forms are not available. We only accept online application.

Q6 : When will I be informed of the outcome of my application?

Ans : The outcome timelines for applications for August and January intakes are 30 May and
31 October respectively.

C) Scholarship

Q1 : How many places are available for scholarships each year? What are the chances like?

Ans : The number of research scholarships is not fixed and it is dependent on the budget given to the faculty. All the applications will be evaluated on a competitive basis. The most outstanding candidates (academic and suitability) will be awarded research scholarships.

Q2 : Who are eligible to apply for research scholarship?

Ans : Students of all nationalities are eligible to apply for the research scholarships.

Q3 : What kind of financial support does the NUS research scholarship offers?

Ans : Each scholarship carries a monthly stipend of $1,500 and a full research fee subsidy. No travel or other allowances are provided. For PhD students who have passed their PhD Qualifying Examinations, they receive a top-up of $500 per month. No bond is required.

Q4 : What is the tenure of the research scholarship?

Ans : The maximum award period is 2 and 4 years for Master's and Doctoral students respectively.

D) Immigration Matters

Q1 : How do I go about getting a student visa after being offered a place?

Ans : Please refer to Immigration & Checkpoint Authority (ICA)'s web site at

for the list of countries that require an entry visa. The Registrar’s Office will help to apply for a single-journey visa cum in-principle student pass approval on behalf of international students. The original approval letter issued by the ICA and the valid passport must be presented to the Duty Officer at the Immigration checkpoint upon arrival in Singapore. No deposit is required by Immigration Office.

E) Career Prospect

Q1 : Can I practise as a clinician in Singapore at the end of the course?

Ans : To practise clinically in Singapore, your BDS degrees must be registrable with Singapore Dental Council.

Q2 : Can I work in your University/Singapore after completing my higher research degree?

Ans : Yes, subject to availability of research positions. For clinical positions, registration of your degree rest with Singapore Dental Council.

Q3 : I would like to know those countries which recognise your research degrees. Are these degrees accredited to other universities in the world (USA, UK)? Do they make me eligible to work/practice in these countries?

Ans : The recognition of our research degrees varies from country to country. Please check with
the country concerned