Our History - Timeline

Year

History

1929

The Dental School in Singapore had its beginnings in a disused ward of the Singapore General Hospital (SGH) when Professor E.K. Tratman was appointed Head of the Dental School of the King Edward VII College of Medicine.

1933

First batch of graduates awarded with Licentiates in Dental Surgery (LDS).

1938

Opening of the 'New' Dental School and Clinic Building.

1939 - 1945

The Dental School closed temporarily because of war.

1949

University of Malaya in Singapore was established. Amalgated with King Edward VII College of Medicine.

1950

First batch of Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) graduates. Professor RJS Tickle assumed post as Head of the Dental Department.

1955

Extension and modern equipment was added to the building.

1962

The Degree, BDS (S'pore) was first awarded with the establishment of the University of Singapore. Professor Jansen was appointed Head of the Dental Department.

1966

The Department of Dentistry attained Faculty status with 4 departments -- Conservative Dentistry, Oral Surgery, Preventive Dentistry and Prosthetic Dentistry. Dr Edmund Tay was elected the first Dean of the Faculty.

1970

The Faculty underwent restructuring into 3 departments -- Operative Dentistry, Oral Surgery and Prosthetic Dentistry. School of Postgraduate Dental Studies (PGDS) was also established.

1979

The Faculty celebrated 50 years of dental education. The Faculty building at SGH was renovated. All clinical areas were given new flooring and old dental units were replaced with Maruchi-eight units. The histology laboratory and Operative Technique Room were also renovated and air-conditioned.

1985

Prof Edmund Tay stepped down as the longest serving Dean in the history of the university. He was succeeded by A/P Loh Hong Sai.

1986

The faculty premises moved from SGH to a new three-storey modern complex at the National University Hospital  (NUH) occupying 74,000 square feet of space. An Outpatient NUH Dental Centre was started.

1988

Third GDC (General Dental Council) visitation, with continued recognition of BDS for registration in the UK.

1989

60 years of Dental Education as Faculty proudly celebrates its Diamond Jubilee. Vice Chancellor Prof Lim Pin unveiled the water colour painting of the “Old Dental School”by Ong Kim Seng.

1990

Departments were re-organized into Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Preventive Dentistry and Restorative Dentistry.

1995

Prof Chew Chong Lin was appointed as the third Dean of the faculty. Fourth GDC (General Dental Council) visit

1996

An elective undergraduate student exchange programme (SEP) for an overseas short attachment started. Problem based learning was introduced for final year students. Research initiatives by students under the UROP (University Research Opportunities Programme) commenced.

1997

School of postgraduate dental studies was renamed the Graduate School of Dental Studies (GSDS). Faculty adopted  a new competency based dental curriculum. First patent by Faculty arising from project with IMRE on fiber-reinforced composite product with graded stiffness.

1998

First International Advisory Panel (IAP) visitors, Prof John Stamm (USA) and Prof Nairn Wilson (UK).
Virtual reality pre-clinical simulation systems, DenSim introduced for training in pre-clinical operative  technique.

1999

70th Anniversary celebrations. Gala dinner at the Ritz Carlton was the highlight with funds raised for faculty development.

2000

First conjoint Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) examination with the Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) successfully conducted in Orthodontics.

2001

A/P Keson Tan appointed the fourth Dean of the faculty. Second IAP visit led to further recommendations and revamp of the faculty research roadmap. President of NUS, Prof Shih Choon Fong opened the 4th level extension of the building at NUH. New features include; 150 set auditorium, additional seminar rooms, student lounge and computer lab, Dentistry ITU and multi media lab.

2002

The graduate school of dental studies was subsumed into the faculty and renamed “Division of Graduate Dental Studies (DGDS) “now offering MDS residency training in 5 specialties. Research postgraduate students increased for MSC and PhD programmes.

2003

Electronic Dental records (EDR), Dental Exact, for patient management and charting implemented. First Dental school in this region to go electronic using a clinical information system. Students use computer notebooks for the EDR.

2004

The 75th Anniversary celebrations. Alumni named facilities unveiled. Heritage corner started. Faculty research facilities opened at the Defence Science Organization (DSO) Building.

2005

NUS celebrates its centenary

2006

Expansion of the undergraduate dental enrollment to 42 students.
Centre of Advanced Dental Education (CADE) launched to provide training and education for dentists.
Expansion of MDS orthodontic residency training enrollment to 6 students.

2007

Alumni mentorship scheme launched to encourage interaction between undergraduate dental students and practicing dentists.

2008

Formation of the National University Health system (NUHS) in Jan 2008 comprising Yong Lo Lin School of Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry (FOD) and National University Hospital (NUH)
In November FOD was asked to facilitate the planning of a new interim building to be situated at NUS Carpark 9

2009

First batch of 48 first year dental students were enrolled for the academic year. Construction of the new FOD building commenced in June 2009 and was completed in December. Faculty celebrates its 80th anniversary with events culminating in the grand gala dinner on November 7th. An “80th Anniversary Dental Bursary fund” was started.

2010

Assoc Prof Grace Ong was appointed as the fifth Dean. She is also the first female Dean of the history of the dental school.

Faculty moved into its new building at NUS CP9 on 4.1.10. The new A-shaped building (6195m2) located at the junction of Medical Drive and Lower Kent Ridge Road houses the training facilities for  undergraduate students  and also the MDS residency programs in Prosthodontics, Orthodontics  and Dip Implantology.

2011

On 1st October 2011, the Faculty of Dentistry was restructured into a One-Department Faculty. This will streamline and facilitate the Faculty’s administration.

2015

Commencement of Peadiatric Dentistry Residency Training Programme
2016 Professor Patrick Finbarr Allen was appointed as the sixth Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry

 

 

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Our History